Cabo San Lucas is a glamorous destination where the desert and mountains meet the sea. Also known simply as “Cabo,” it is a great spot for tourists and families (and surfers, too).
Cabo is located at the end of the Baja California Peninsula less than 70 miles south of Baja California Sur’s capital city of La Paz. Known as the “Striped Marlin Capital of the World,” it is one of the sites of the Brisbee’s Black and Blue Marlin Tournaments. The tournament is held annually in October and if you like fishing, you will have a great time throwing your line out in the Pacific Ocean or Sea of Cortez. You can catch tuna or dorado…and then have it for dinner!
Snorkeling and scuba diving are other popular activities in the Cabo area…maybe because Cabo has one of the largest reefs in the world where you can see a variety of underwater flora and fauna. The most popular beach is Medano Beach, where you will find plenty of activities and delicious beach restaurants. But if you are looking to surf, places like El Tule Beach and El Pescadero are great places. If you are a beginner, head to Playa Los Cerritos for a high tide experience.
There are plenty of fun activities to occupy your time during the day, but if you’re wondering where the nightlife is…downtown Cabo is the perfect place. There you will find the famous bar El Squid Roe and Cabo Wabo Cantina, owned (and sometimes attended!) by Sammy Hagar of the band Van Halen.
As a Cabo “local,” some of my suggestions are:
1. Rent a car and drive to La Paz. On your way, you will find Todos Santos which is an adorable arts town. Make sure you stop by and check out Hotel California, where some claim the Eagles’ hit song was written.
2. Visit Lover’s Beach. Two of my favorite ways to do this are by taking a water taxi (available at the marina) or by kayak, which you can rent on Medano Beach.
3. Take a horseback riding tour on the beach to watch the sunset.
4. Partake in the wine tasting at the Los Cabos Winery and listen to a local jazz pianist.
5. Check out the Jungle Cruise tours for sunset, booze, snorkeling, and whale watching cruises.
Cabo has a lot to offer you…what are you waiting for? Check back this week on the RCI blog as we share stories and photos from RCI subscribing members who have taken a vacation in Cabo San Lucas. Do you have your own story or photo about a trip you took to Cabo? If so, share it here and maybe we’ll feature it at the end of the week!